_Henry Dismore Sr.___+ | (1753 - 1816) m 1780 _John H. Dismore ____|_Martha Smith _______ | (1791 - 1822) m 1820 (1760 - ....) _William Dismore ____| | (1816 - 1866) m 1837| | | _____________________ | | | | |_Susan Deal _________|_____________________ | (1800 - ....) m 1820 _John Riley Dismore _| | (1841 - ....) | | | _____________________ | | | | | _____________________|_____________________ | | | | |_Catherine Blaze ____| | (1813 - 1897) m 1837| | | _____________________ | | | | |_____________________|_____________________ | | |--William D. Dismore | (1862 - ....) | _____________________ | | | _____________________|_____________________ | | | _____________________| | | | | | | _____________________ | | | | | | |_____________________|_____________________ | | |_____________________| | | _____________________ | | | _____________________|_____________________ | | |_____________________| | | _____________________ | | |_____________________|_____________________
1880 Federal Census - Soundex Index
Shelby Co, IN Civil Records
__ | __|__ | __| | | | | __ | | | | |__|__ | _Thomas Hunt ________| | (1530 - 1606) m 1564| | | __ | | | | | __|__ | | | | |__| | | | | __ | | | | |__|__ | | |--Robert Hunt | (1564 - 1616) | __ | | | __|__ | | | __| | | | | | | __ | | | | | | |__|__ | | |_Alice Pollarde _____| (1540 - 1571) m 1564| | __ | | | __|__ | | |__| | | __ | | |__|__
_Unknown Johnson ____ | (1747 - ....) _William Johnson ____|_____________________ | (1775 - 1855) _Calvin Johnson _____| | (1802 - 1862) m 1830| | | _____________________ | | | | |_Mary Hosic _________|_____________________ | (1776 - 1855) _Joseph Alexander Johnson _| | (1832 - 1884) m 1850 | | | _____________________ | | | | | _____________________|_____________________ | | | | |_Sarah McGill _______| | (1801 - 1864) m 1830| | | _____________________ | | | | |_____________________|_____________________ | | |--Nettie E Johnson | | _____________________ | | | _____________________|_____________________ | | | _William H Owens ____| | | (1809 - 1903) m 1825| | | | _____________________ | | | | | | |_____________________|_____________________ | | |_Eliza Ellen Owens ________| (1833 - 1918) m 1850 | | _____________________ | | | _____________________|_____________________ | | |_Easter H Unknown ___| (1807 - 1878) m 1825| | _____________________ | | |_____________________|_____________________
Walter Palmer reached Salem, Mass. 1628/29 the coastal village where many of the ships landed; his group after a few months moved a short distancesouth where they settled and named the spot Charlestown;thereafter someof that group moved across the Charles River and founded Boston. However Walter moved westward and south to found another new community which wasnamed Rehoboth by the Rev. Samuel Newman who arrived soon thereafter. Tenyears later Walter was persuaded by his good friend, William Chesebroughto join him infounding still another village which eventually was namedStonington also co-founders were Walter's son-in-law Thomas Minor andThomas Stanton and was claimed by Connecticut. Some of the area west ofRehoboth where those settlers had their first church and first cemeteryeventually became part of the area which formed Rhode Island.
In 1652 Thomas Minor built a house for his father-in-law, Walter Palmer,on the opposite side of Wequetequock Cove from Chesebrough,the latterhaving persuaded Walter to settle near him; in 1653 Walter and Rebeccaremoved from Rehoboth to the house at Wequetequock Cove which theirson-in-law had transferred to them. Grace, the oldest of Walter'schildren and her husband and family would soon join them as Thomas Minorbuilt his house.
Although Walter lived at Southertown (later in May 1666 changed toStonington only a few years, eight in all, his impact there was the sameas it had been when he was a younger man helping to settle and foundRehoboth and Charlestown. When he settled at Southertown he wassixty-eight years of ages, older than most of the other settlers, he wasone of the first to serve as Constable here, and on 19 Oct 1658 wasappointed "to a committee to conduct the prudential affairs,"along withfive others. He was always a leader in all activities looking toward thefounding of a new settlement: religious, civic, law and order, orrepresentation at the General Court, just as he had been at Charlestownand Rehoboth.
Walter Palmer, arrived in the Spring/ summer of 1629 in the Port ofSalem, MA. Historians say that they either remained in Salem through thefirst winter or left immediately to found their own separate community,Charlestown along the Charles River
"History of Stonington Connecticut 1649-1900" by Richard Anson Wheeler
Notes in Mary Lou Ramsey's research show a source, "Ancestors & Friends"by Wm. Lusk Crawford, 1980; that reports Walter came to America inMarch,1629, departing Grave's End England and arriving Salem, Mass.Walter is named as the founder of Stonington, Connecticut. In 1642,Walter and Rebecca moved from Charlestown to Plymouth Colony. On June 4,1645, he assisted in the incorporation of Rehoboth, Mass. Following themove to Plymouth Colony, more children were born.
As a Separatist Puritan, in an effort to seek religious freedom, on April5, 1629 he sailed from Gravesend England on a boat called "Four Sisters"- one of six ships; the others being the Talbot, Lyons Whelp, GeorgeBonaventure, Lyon, and The Mayflower.
Walter arrived in Salem, Massachusetts on June of 1629 and settled inCharlestown Massachusetts with his five children and Abraham Palmer,possibly his brother.
Walter was married for a second time to Rebecca Short of Roxbury on June1, 1633. They were married in Roxbury Church, of which she was a memberand Rev. John Eliot its Minister. She was one of the first members of hischurch upon her arrival in America in 1632. Roxbury was generally settledby the people from Essex and Hertfordshire under the leadership of theRev. John Eliot who had been the Vicar of Nazeing. Reverend Eliot'srecords of the Roxbury First Church state: "Rebeckah Short, a maidesrvant, she came in the yeare 1632 and was married to Walter Palmer aGodly man of Charlestown Church." Rebecca was to give birth to sevenadditional children giving Walter a total of twelve.
Walter Palmer died in Stonington on November 20, 1661 and is buried inthe Wequetequock burying ground. A rough wolf stone about 9 feet inlength covers his grave. The inscription probably added later reads "W.Palmer 1585-1661". The stone lies in the midst of a long line of gravesof his children and grandchildren. Nearby is a large monument erected inthe memory of the four founders of the area - William Chesebrough, ThomasMinor, Thomas Stanton and Walter Palmer. Rebecca Palmer probably diedshortly before June 5 1684. The only known record is the division by sonsNehemiah, Moses and Benjamin of land on that date which "our father leftfor our mother to divide".
Notes for Walter PALMER II:
1. Much research has been done to connect Walter to an ancestral family.Some believe his family was connected to Sir Anthony Palmer - othersbelieve John Palmer of Angmering may be Walter's ancestry. Many recordsneeded for proof have been destroyed or are missing and any recordsdiscovered have probably disproved any possibilities.
We have recorded a Walter Palmer and Elizabeth Carter as parentsaccording to the Walter Palmer Society.
And, for interested researchers continuing to link Walter to the JohnPalmer of Angmering family, we have added
a "!PLACE MARK!" connection from John's family to the Walter Palmer nowconsidered to be Walter's father.
2. Walter Palmer, seeking religious freedom, sailed from Gravesend, Kent,England with his five children and Abraham Palmer(believed to be hisbrother) arriving in Salem, Massachusetts in June of 1629 in the "FourSisters", one of a fleet of six ships that also included the "Talbot","Lyons Whelp", "George Bonaventure", "Lyon", and "The Mayflower" (of the1620 Pilgrimage). He initially went to Mishawum (Charlestown),Massachusetts where he was listed in the town records as one of the earlysettlers as follows: Reverend Francis Bright, Engineer Thomas Graves,Ralph Sprague, Richard Sprague, William Sprague, John Meech, Simon Hoyte,Abraham Palmer, Walter Palmer, Nicholas Stowers, John Stickline, andoriginal settler (1625) Thomas Walford. Walter, with his brother Abraham,were made Freemen of Massachusets in 1634. In 1643 he later moved toSeakonk (Rehoboth), Massachusetts where he, William Chesebrough, RichardWright of Braintree, and Alexander Winchester, were the founders. Ofthese Richard Wright was the dominant man. Walter joined WilliamChesebrough in 1652 in Stonington where he was one of the three earlysettlers to follow William. He settled on the east bank of theWequetequock Cove
3. Walter was called a non-conformist, he had strong religiousconvictions which were contrary to the established Church of England. Hefelt the church had erred in continuing with the pageantry and formalityof the Roman Church instead of returning to the simplicity of the earlyChristian Churches as they had been during their first three hundredyears. This could be the reason no baptisms of his first five childrencould be found in England. He was a large man -- said to have been 6' to6' 5", weighing 200 to 300 lbs. He was also a man of high integrity,honesty and ability -- these traits were passed on to his children. Hissons carried on in the same manner, assuming responsibilities, serving ascivic officers, becoming church members and some even became deacons ofthe Church.
4. From page 378, Volume III of Colonial Families of the United States ofAmerica:
Arms -- Or, two bars gules, each charged with three trefoils slippedvert, in chief 2 greyhound courant sable.
Crest -- A demi-panther rampant guardant, flames issuing from ears andmouth proper, supporting a palm branch.
Motto -- Palma virtuti.
5. Biography from Richard Anson Wheeler's, "History of Stonington,Connecticut, 1649 - 1900", (Press of The Day Publishing Company, 1900):
WALTER PALMER, the progenitor of the family of his name, who firstsettled in Stonington, Conn., came to New England as early as 1628, withhis brother, Abraham Palmer, a merchant of London, England, and nineassociates. They went from Salem, Mass., through a pathless wilderness toa place called by the Indians Mishawam, where they found a man by thename of Thomas Walford, a smith. Here they remained until the next year,when they were joined by nearly one hundred people, who came with ThomasGraves, from Salem and laid the foundation of the town, which they namedCharlestown, in honor of King Charles the First, June 2q., 1629. It isclaimed that Walter Palmer built the first dwelling house in Charlestownafter it was organized as a township, on the two acres of land that wereassigned and set to him by the authority of the new town. Walter Palmer'sinclinations tended to stock raising and farming, but he soon found hisland was inadequate to his business, notwithstanding which he continuedto reside in Charlestown until 1643. During his residence there hepurchased additional real estate, which he improved in his line ofbusiness as best he could. While thus engaged he became acquainted withWilliam Chesebrough, who lived at the time in Boston and Braintree, whosebusiness pursuits were similar to those of Mr. Palmer, and after repeatedinterviews and consultations, they both decided to remove to the PlymouthColony, and did so remove their families and with others, joined in theorganization of the town of Rehoboth, as an independent township, whichwas continued as such until they should subject themselves to some othergovernment. Such an organization, largely composed of strangers andsituated in a remote part of the colony, was not very well calculated tosecure their approval. It does not appear that they intended to establishthis new township wholly as an independent organization, for as soon asthe preliminary steps necessary for its formation were taken, and afterits organization was effected, they elected deputies to the General Courtof Plymouth. Walter Palmer was a prominent man when he lived inMassachusetts, and was admitted a freeman there May 18, 1631, and heldseveral local offices in that colony, and such was the estimation inwhich he was held by the first planters of Rehoboth and the confidencethat they reposed in him, that his fellow townsmen elected him as theirfirst representative to the General Court of Plymouth, and subsequentlyre-elected him to that office and also conferred upon him repeatedly theoffice of selectman and other local offices. His friend Chesebrough, notrelishing the way and manner in which he was treated by the General Courtof the Plymouth Colony decided to look farther westward for a permanentplace of abode. He visited the then new settlement of New London, by theadvice of Mr. John Winthrop, which after a thorough examination thereof,it did not answer his expectations, so he concluded to return homeward,and on his way came through the town of Stonington, Conn., where hevisited the beautiful valley of Wequetequock, with which he was so wellpleased that he decided to make it his future place of abode. When hereached home and described to his wife and family the situation andadvantages of this valley, they all approved of it as a desirable placefor their home. Mr. Chesebrough and sons immediately commenced operationsfor the erection of a dwelling house, fixing its site on the west bank ofWequetequock Cove. The salt marsh lands adjoining the cove furnished hayfor the stock, and Mr. Chesebrough and Palmer and all the early settlersuntil they could clear up land and reduce it to cultivation by Englishgrasses for their cattle. Mr. Chesebrough so far finished his house thathe occupied it with his family during the year 1649, and so became thepioneer English planter of the new town now called Stonington.
The Connecticut General Court were not satisfied with his locatinghimself in the wilderness so far away from any English settlement, sothey ordered him to report his proceedings to Maj. John Mason, whichresulted in a compromise later on between him and said court, wherein andby which he was to remain in his new habitation on condition that hewould induce a reasonable number of creditable persons to unite with himin organizing a new township as hereinbefore stated more at large.
Thomas Stanton, the interpreter general of New England, was the first tojoin Mr. Chesebrough in the new settlement, and obtained a grant from theGeneral Court in March, 1650, of six acres of planting ground onPawcatuck River, with liberty to erect a trading house thereon, with feedand mowing of marsh land, according to his present occasions, giving himthe exclusive trade of the river for three years next ensuing. Mr.Stanton located his six-acre grant on the west bank of Pawcatuck River,.around a place known as Pawcatuck rock, upon which grant he erected histrading house; and subsequently built him a dwelling house thereon, towhich he moved his family in 1651, establishing it as his permanent placeof abode, where he lived the remainder of his days. (For furtherparticulars see Stanton family). William Chesebrough, in pursuance of hisarrangement with the General Court, invited his friend Walter Palmer,then living in Rehoboth, to come and join him here in the organization ofanother new township. While Mr. Palmer was considering this proposition,Thomas Miner, who had married his daughter Grace, and was then a residentof New London, was also invited to join the new settlement, which he did,by obtaining a limited grant of land of the town of New London, which helocated on the east bank of Wequetequock Cove, and built him a dwellinghouse thereon, to which he moved his family in the year 1652. The town ofNew London at the time claimed jurisdiction of the town of Stonington andhad granted large tracts of land to William Chesebrough and Thomas Miner,and being anxious to assist Mr. Chesebrough in his efforts to induce asuitable number of prominent men to unite with him in settling a newtownship here, induced Gov. Haynes to accept of a grant of land of threehundred acres, for a farm lying east and southeast of Chesebrough's land,on the east side of Wequetequock Cove. This grant bore date April 5,1652. Walter Palmer, who was then prospecting for a tract of landsuitable for farming, with salt marsh grass land for his stock,ascertained that Gov. Haynes's grant covered the land he wished toobtain, and so visited the governor, with his sonin-law, Thomas Miner,and his eldest son, John Miner, who had previously learned that theHaynes grant of land embraced in its boundaries his son-in-law's land.But after a friendly interview with the governor, Walter Palmer purchasedhis grant of land in Stonington, by a contract deed which was witnessedby Thomas and John Miner, agreeing to pay the governor one hundred poundsfor the place, with such cattle as Mr. Haynes should select out of WalterPalmer's stock. If any disagreement should arise, as to the price of thestock, it should be decided by indifferent persons. Their contractrecognized the title to the house and lands occupied by Mr. Miner, andwas dated July 15, 1653. Thomas Miner, Sr., was selected to put Mr.Palmer in possession of the land purchased of Gov. Haynes, and did so bya written instrument, embodying therein a conveyance of his own land, anddwelling house, included in the boundaries of the Haynes land (to Mr.Palmer), reserving the right, however, to occupy his said house until hecould build another at Mistuxet, now known as Quiambaug, in Stonington.So 1653 marks the time when Walter Palmer came to Stonington to reside.He and his friend Chesebrough lived within a stone's throw of each other,and after life's fitful fever was ended, departed this life, and both lieburied in the old Wequetequock burial place, with Thomas Stanton, theinterpreter general of New England. Walter Palmer was a man well advancedin life when he came to Stonington to reside with his family. He was bornin London, England, as early as 1585, and at the time of his settlementhere had reached the rugged steep of life's decline. The rough exposureof pioneer life, with its deprivations, seriously affected his health,which was so much impaired that as the chill November days had come, "thesaddest of the year," he was gathered not to his fathers, but laid torest in the old Wequetequock burial place, dying Nov. l0, 1661. Of hisfamily, it may be said that he married in England, long before he came tothis country. The name of his first wife has never been recorded. He m.2d, Rebecca Short, who came to this country in 1632. They were joined inmarriage June 1, 1633.
ca. 1608: Walter Palmer married (1st) Elizabeth, surname unknown.
"New England Marriages Prior to 1700" compiled by Clarence Almon Torrey;p. 554; The Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc.; Baltimore, Maryland;1985 (974.0 NEa/Marriage SCGS) (Randall Research Library)
1633, June 1: Rebecca Short and Walter Palmer were married in RoxburyChurch, Charlestown (Suffolk) Massachusetts by Rev. John Eliot.
"Genealogy of the Descendants of William Chesebrough" by Anna ChesebroughWildey; pp. 526-7; The Press of T. A. Wright, New York City, New York;1903 (929.2 C524 LAPL) (FH C39.0 SR)
1633, June 1: Walter Palmer married Rebecca Short at Charlestown,Massachusetts.
"New England Marriages Prior to 1700" compiled by Clarence Almon Torrey;p. 554; The Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc.; Baltimore, Maryland;1985 (974.0 NEa/Marriage SCGS)
"History of the Town of Stonington, County of New London, Connecticut,from its First Settlement in 1649 to 1900 with a Genealogical Register ofStonington Families" by Richard Anson Wheeler; p. 504 and 508; Press ofThe Day Publishing Company; New London, Connecticut; 1900 (974.62 S87WlLAPL) (974.6 CT SCGS)
Tjchase - Gencircles.com
Elizabethtown City Cemetery Records
Name of Person: Letitia Stroud VanMeter
Date of Birth: 1/1/1725
Date of Death: 1/1/1799
Lot #: 341
Lot Owner: Haycraft, Samuel Sr.
Other Info: Wife of Jacob